Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Is letter writing a lost art?

My oldest Son has joined the Marines. One of the, if not the proudest times of my life.

I have started writing letters to him. This is bringing something to light that I hadn't realized. I have forgotten how to write a letter!

Now I don't mean I have forgotten how to write or spell. I have lost the subtle skill of communicating in written form. The immediate nature of e-mail or text messaging, has removed the need to be thorough when writing. You have to be clear and concise when writing a letter that may take a week to get to it's recipient , and another week to get back to you.

I find myself writing, and re-writing sections of the letter. I don't want to leave anything hanging were Chris might have question or worry. If I do, it will be 2 weeks before I can clarify it.

I guess this is just another example of technology doing away with the need for an elegant skill. For now I am going to try and revive this need and keep it alive. :)

No comments: